Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 1 in the Field - Yogyakarta, Indonesia (July 2nd, 2006)

For security and the well being of the Missionary and his family in Indonesia I will only refer to him as "Pak" throughout these entries.

Day 1 (On-Site in Earthquake Zone, Bantul Indonesia) -

I am shocked by the amount of sheer devastation in this area. Villages are completely gone and seas of tarps and tents are all that can be seen among the rubble of fallen buildings, mosques, and homes. We met with "A" and his family ("J" his father, "H" his uncle) today surveying the damage and asking for the needs of the villagers. We provided several tarps and mats/blankets to some of the residents as well as two large tarps to "H" to use while he was in process of rebuilding the walls of his home that as 90% destroyed. An elderly gentelmen pulled me aside and tried to communicate with me a need but I could not understand -- so he pulled my arm and led my to his home where his wife lay ill and unable to move from physical damage from the earthquake. The missionary told me he was asking for money to bring in a doctor and provide medicine for her, but immediately the missionary was told by on of the locals that his family had seen a doctor that his children could afford to provide this need. It seemed to me strange that this need was so evident and he seems very sincere, but I was educated further on the social politics of these villages and the extreme precaution that must be taken when handing out aid and supplies. Lists must be made and needs must be prioritized with consent of the elders so as to avoid social jealousy within the community. How I wish we could just meet all the needs......I am being stretched and I need God's guidance to make sure my emotions do not take control of the moment and supplant what God is intending.

Most of the afternoon we have spent visiting another village that called Pak V. on his cell phone asking if we could deliver some tarps for their use. The Mosque in their village was severly damaged and they were in need of some tarps to provde shelter for the students of the Pasantran school that the mosque runs.
This village is considered much more "radical" and is associated with a very large Muslim organization called Muhammadiyah (I snapped this picture while driving by so it isn't the best quality, but snapping one in the village was not appropriate). We delivered the tarps and mats and found a very sincere gratitude from the people we interacted with despite their obvious knowledge of our Chiristian faith. Dusk is falling now and our day has completed its work, we will venture back to "Pak"'s home to rest and replensih for tomorrow.

No comments: